Striker Coalition Readies Commencement Protests

By Richard Turner

A coalition of student groups and striking printers met last night to plan a series of "militant and large-scale" support actions over the next two weeks to dramatize the issues of the printers' strike to those attending Commencement and Reunion activities and to pressure Harvard into settling the strike.

The 30 organizers at the Phillips Brooks House meeting stressed the University's interest in conducting a smooth Reunion Week and Commencement ceremony.

They reasoned that Harvard might agree to the printers' wage demands rather than face the prospect of disruptions in front of alumni, parents, and other potential financial contributors. In 1967, Harvard settled grievances with striking printers two days before Commencement.

James G. Pope '73-4, a member of the New American Movement and an organizer of the activities, said last night, "We plan to demonstrate that members of the Harvard community are intensely concerned about the issues of the printers' strike and the wider issue of Harvard's wage policy as a whole."

He characterized the planned support actions as "legal and non-obstructive." Plans discussed included picketing of the four gates to the Yard through which people must pass to attend Commencement exercises, and demonstrations of mass support at Reunion affairs.

Pope also said that since Commencement receives national media attention, Harvard will be concerned that its image as a liberal and fair employer not be undermined.

Katherine J. Moos '75 of SDS and the coalition said that she and others and already contacted about 200 graduating seniors who signed a petition backing the strikers, and that "almost all" had expressed interest in participating in some form of display of support for the strike at Commencement, including carrying signs and wearing placards.

They said they plan to contact as many seniors as possible in the coming weeks in an attempt to organize other pro-striker demonstrations at Commencement.

Members of the Graphic Arts International Union (GAIU) continue to picket daily. Yesterday about 35 workers and a few students picketed the Freshman Union, stopping deliveries from all but one truck.

James Haviland, shop steward of local 16, said last night, "We're really getting down to the nitty-gritty now. I hope we won't even have to get as far as Commencement, and if we push hard this week and next we may not have to. But we want to show Harvard what we're capable of doing when the alumni are here."

The 31 printers and five copysetters from the Typing and Copy Center have been on strike since April 9. The printers are demanding a nine per cent wage increase, but Harvard will offer no more than a 5.9 per cent hike.