Racquetwomen Edge Wheaton

Radcliffe Squad Ends Season Undefeated

By William E. Stedman jr.

It was not exactly a dramatic way for the Radcliffe tennis team to end an undefeated season. There were no final thundering volleys for match point against rugged competition. There was no cheering throng to greet the winners. There was no tension in the air.

It was a cold, windy day on the courts of Wheaton College for a match that ended only because of darkness with Rita Funaro and Peggy Moorehead tied at one game apiece. But by then it didn't matter. The Radcliffe racquetwomen had already beaten their Wheaton opponents, 3-1, to cap an undefeated regular season in dual meets.

Champagne

There was champagne, however, donated by coach Betty Lincoln to celebrate the victory and toast the squad's only graduating member Kathy Agoos, and team captain Lissa Muscatine. The champagne and the tremendous team spirit that carried the group through the tough matches more than made up for what the finale lacked in excitement and challenge.

"They're [the Wheaton squad] not bad," a generous Muscatine said after the match. "They have a reputation for being fairly solid." Not solid enough, however, as the 'Cliffe squad had faced much stiffer competition throughout the season. This was no real match-up.

The only win Wheaton could muster came in the doubles, as Maude Wood and newcomer Janet Clark went down to 4-6, 5-7 defeat. Clark moved up from junior varsity for the final match as Cheryl Gelzer could not make the trip to Norton. It was Wood's first doubles loss of the season.

In the other doubles competition, Muscatine and Agoos won a tough first set, 7-6, then breezed to a 6-2 victory in the second. Agoos, playing her final game, went out on a high note as she put away the last two points of her undefeated doubles career.

Magraw Undefeated

In singles, Denise Thal took a pair of 6-4 wins at number one, while Sukie Magraw defeated Georgia Peach, 6-2, 6-4. Magraw thus ended her freshman dual-meet season undefeated in both singles and doubles.

It was a somewhat anti-climactic way to end the season, but the victory served its purpose. The squad is already looking forward to next season. "We'll be playing over the summer," Muscatine said, "and we should be even stronger next season."