Red Sox Bombard Detroit, 9-3

The Red Sox battered Woodie Fryman for four runs in the first inning following a two-hour rain delay and the Red Sox coasted to a 9-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers last night.

Fryman gave up consecutive run-scoring singles to Jim Rice, Bob Montgomery and Fred Lynn before Dave Lemanczyk with a single to load the bases, then Terry Hughes walked to force in the fourth run of the inning.

Boston added three more runs in the third on a run-scoring double by Montgomery and RBI singles by Burleson and Doug Griffin. Danny Cater hit a solo homer for Boston in the fourth to make it 8-0, while Tommy Harper had a run-scoring single in the eighth.

A walk to Al Kaline and a double by Bill Freehan in the bottom of the fourth produced Detroit's first run off Reggie Cleveland, who collected his twelfth win of the season, and the Tigers got two unearned runs in the ninth.

In the other Hub sports news, Celtic star Don Chaney announced yesterday that he will jump to the American Basketball Association's St. Louis spirits.