Skiers Snatch 1st and 3rd at Beebe Cup Slalom

Racers Tune for College Competitions

By David J.states

With glittering costumes and greased back hair the Crimson Ski Team assaulted Temple Mountain for the annual Charles Beebe Cup. The race, sometimes more reminiscent of a masquerade ball than a slalom,showed Harvard to have one of the strongest and definitely the craziest team in recent memory.

First in the alpine attack was coach Peter Carter'69. Carter once again showed the team how it is supposed to be done, snatching first place with his slippery style. Sporting green satin from head to toe, the gooey-haired Harvardian also laid undisputed claim to the gauchest get up of the granite state gathering.

Rivaling the performance of his stylish coach, Crimson junior Gordon Adler coupled a duo of dynamic descents to end the day in third place. These were the first back-to-back runs representative of Adler's ability, and coach Carter hopes the careening Adler will continue to couple cosmic performances to build himself a stellar season.

Australian ace Lillian Nordica led Radcliffe racers to a first-run romp, racking up a rattling seven-second lead over the field.

Top-spin Tumble

As a tempest of snowflakes descended on the trophy competition, junior Dick Raines tread too rashly through the treacherous turns and took a top-spin tumble. Though tripped up this time, Raines, who last year worked as a Guatemalan teamster, intends to take himself to the top of eastern alpine skiing. He titilated expectations in the tilt at Jimminy Peak last week where he tamed all other skiers and took the trophy.

Strong skiing seems to be the style of the year. Sophomore slider Eric Jewett shows sharpening skill and should slip into the money if psyche doesn't shake his supple swerving. Unfortunately Saturday's syncopated serpentine sent the sinewy skiers into a spiralling spill.

Though western wonders often wallow when warring with the weevil of eastern ice, Crimson wigglers Peter Anton and Bob Kelly have whetted the whim of coach Carter with wit and little wobble while wrestling with the rinks, wishfully called slopes. With work the pair will leave watchers wonderous with their winter winging.

Senior Scott Johnson started the season by staking himself as the speediest at a slalom staged with Boston College during vacation. Though captain of the storming squad, studies stayed Johnson from Saturday's slalom. Counting on the strength of greater depth than any recent team, although lacking the services of graduated superstar Ben Steele, Carter says the squad should surpass any Crimson team of the last five years.

The cross country couriers, paced by captain Paul Finegan and junior Peter Dillon, have checked in with consistent finishes, and should chock up points for the team.

The north woods track men trained through the term, but the rigors of reading period lay rest to the roughest runner. With the regular season races resuming in a week the relative repose of study will be replaced by the rigors of training camp to revitalize the sheumatic racers.

Filling in to replace coach Peter Robes who advanced to a position as coach of the National Team is Don Cutter from Dartmouth.

Hopes are that Harvard's history of humble hops off the ski jump will change with high-flyer Scott Woodward hurling himself toward Helios and the most distant hash marks. The hazel-haired Woodward hopes not to be handicapped by Harvard's hideous climatic habits through a combination of norther practice and hometown exercise on the Harvard team's hand-crafted roller jump.