Harvard Just Squeezes Past B.C., 2-1

Injuries to Key Forwards Force Cleary To Reshuffle Crimson Hockey Lines

By Andrew P. Quigley

In what was perhaps the most lackluster performance by Harvard to date, a revised Crimson hockey team squeezed by a predominantly freshman and sophomore Boston College squad to eke out a 2-1 victory before another overflow crowd at Watson Rink last night.

The win boosted Harvard's ECAC record to a perfect 8-0, keeping the Crimson in first place in the ECAC rankings.

Harvard got on the scoreboard first at 8:07 of the first period. Dan Bolduc let go a 25-foot wrist shot from the left wing that B.C. goalie Bill Wilkens had trouble handling. Wilkens stopped the shot but let the rebound fall in the crease where the opportunistic Kevin Carr, who was trailing the play, poked it into the net.

Harvard maintained its 1-0 lead until 12:42 of the second stanza when the young Eaglets knotted the score. B.C. caught the Crimson in a line change, and to further complicate matters, a Harvard defenseman slipped at center ice, setting up a 3 on 1 break for the Eagles. Paul Barrett sent a perfect pass from the left side to linemate Kerry Young who slipped it into the open net. Crimson goalie Brian Petrovek had no chance on the play.

Harvard had numerous opportunities to score early in the period but failed to capitalize. Dave Bell was in alone but just missed on a wrist shot from 15 feet out, and Bolduc hit the post while standing alone at the corner of the net on a feed from Randy Roth.

But it was the flashy Bolduc who got the game-winner at 19:02 of the second period. Defenseman Larry Piatelli, skating through center ice, spotted Bolduc at the B.C. blue line on the left wing and threaded him a pass between two B.C. defenders. Bolduc broke in on Wilkens and beat the Eagles' netminder with a 15-foot wrist shot along the ice to the far corner.

B.C. came close in the third period, but key saves by Petrovek preserved the victory. Petro played another solid game, lowering his ECAC leading goals against average to 2.44.

Lack of Attack

Harvard played well below what one would expect of the best team in the East. The main reason was the absence of forwards Dave Gauthier and Ted Thorndike, who were injured on the recent Western road trip. Bill Cleary had to make changes in all four of his lines, with the result that the Crimson lacked its usual crisp passing attack.

Harvard had trouble getting the puck out of its own end, making many errant passes inside its own blue line. Fortunately, the Crimson's ineptitude was more than matched by the fledgling Eaglets'.

Another factor contributing to the sluggish Crimson effort may have been the fact that Harvard played just two nights previously in St. Louis. "I think we may have been a bit tired," said captain Randy Roth. "We just got in from St. Louis Monday night."

In any event, a win is a win, whether it's 2-1 or 13-3. Harvard will undoubtedly be more rested for the battle with Cornell Friday night.