Freshmen Booters Win Easily; Rout Amherst Freshmen, 4-0

By David Clarke

The freshman soccer team earned a convincing 4-0 win over the Amherst freshmen yesterday to remain undefeated. Harvard coach Bob Scalise said that he was very happy with the team's effort and its balanced performance in all phases of the game.

The Lord Jeffs "were a good team, but didn't have the finishing up front to score goals," Scalise said.

The weather for the game was fine; the air was cool, but the sun still held a tinge of heat. The Crimson booters seemed more active and precise than their opponents, and consistently kept the ball in the opponent's end of the field.

Unassisted

Six minutes into the game, one of the Amherst fullbacks misplayed the ball, and Tom Hsiao charged around him and fired an unassisted score past the helpless goalie.

As the half ended, George Bell scored on an assist from Jimmy Langton to put Harvard ahead, 2-0. Throughout the half, the freshmen had created scoring opportunities, and only a fine effort from Amherst goalie Mike Bates, who had ten saves for the game, kept the Crimson from breaking the game open completely in the first half.

Free Subs

In the second period, coach Scalise substituted freely but his team continued to score. With more than 17 minutes left in the game, Marco Williams set up Steve Smith for Harvard's third goal. As they had in the first half, fullbacks Bill For-bush, Dave Rand and Ralph Earle, along with sweeper Antonio Ardila, moved the ball up to the offense and shut off the few scoring rushes that Amherst could muster.

The Crimson got its last goal in the closing minutes when the Amherst goalie made his only real mistake of the game. Bates moved quickly to his right to field a long shot by Dave Stone, but bobbled the ball. Harvard sub John Otsoki rushed up to challenge him, knocked the ball free, and bodied it into the empty nets for the final tally.

At this point, Brad Damiani came in to play goal for the Crimson and completed Bill Laverack's fine shut-out effort.

The victory improved the team's record to 4-0. The Yardlings opened their season with two close victories, edging Exeter and the U.Mass. J.V.

Last week, the Harvard booters routed the MIT J.V., 6-1, and had another score that was disallowed because the gun sounded just before the ball bounded into the goal. The team will attempt to continue its streak Monday, when it meets Babson.