Cliffe Stickwomen Launch New Season

Corsairs are First Test

By Richard J. Doherty

The Southeastern Mass Corsairs will come sailing into Soldier's Field today to tackle a newly revamped Radcliffe field hockey fleet. Last year the Cliffe stickwomen sunk to the depths of Davy Jones's locker with a dismal 1-9-2 slate, but this year under the helm of first year skipper, Debi Field, a new crew and much enthusiasm, the squad is looking to reverse that record.

Some tough injuries, most notable the loss of top-scoring Karen Lindsey, to ligament strains, have already taken some wind out of the Cliffe sails, However co-captain Diana Finch said yesterday, "The team's enthusiasm is really strong and both our conditioning and skills are much better than last year.

The major loss besides Lindsey was the graduation of goaltender Barb Matson. The other co-captain, Carlene Rhodes, will step into the crease this season to mind the twine. Although it will be Rhodes's first year in the pads, she will have strong support up front as Field will employ a new 4-2-3-1 lineup.

"The idea behind the new set-up," Finch said," is that links Maude Wood and Lucy Wood (no relation) will be on both offense and defense, giving us an extra woman at both ends of the field."

Directly in front of Rhodes will be fullback sweeper Anne DuPuis. She will be aided on defense by mates Maureen Mason, Finch and the Wood duo will also drop back to help out.

Up front the scoring punch should come off the sticks of strikers Susie McKuen and Abbie Homans. Wingers Mary Howard and Cha-nan Tang will be out on the sides looking for breakaway passes or to set up the strikers.

"We have a very controlled offense," Finch said, "and we're not a team of just a few stars." Disembarkment for Field's maiden voyage will be 3:30 p.m.