Hall Goes to Work

115 Ways To Save SomeMoney

By Robert T. Garrett

"At some point, if the national picture does not improve, changes in basic University programs may have to be considered," Hale Champion, vice president for financial affairs, warned in the last financial report to the Board of Overseers.

That was the report that called Harvard's current economic fix "potentially more serious" than any in its history.

After a $1.5 million University deficit and a worsening "national picture" emerged in the ensuing months, at least one Mass Hall official felt that the critical point had been reached--it was time to consider money-saving "changes in basic University programs."

Not being one to sit back on his managerial cost-cutting laurels, Stephen S.J. Hall went to work.

The University's vice president for administration this summer queried the Central Services department heads who work for him and came up with a list of 115 "Areas of Potential Savings."

The suggested savings ideas ranged the gamut from what Hall terms the "silly"--a "lights-out" campaign, for instance--to more "serious and substantial" ideas that proffer savings of more than $100,000 each.

Included in the latter category were proposed changes in such basics as food, heating and the academic calendar, as well as changes in administrative and faculty use of telephones, copying machines and central purchasing.

Hall "distilled" his list down to 32 potential economy measures that, he said this week, had a "total savings potential" of $4 million.

After President Bok and Dean Rosovsky took a look at the pared-down list last month, Hall said, it was agreed to move ahead and further investigate 8 to 12 of the suggestions.

Those given the go-ahead include pushing the thermometers in some University buildings down to 65 in winter and up to 80 in summer; closing Dudley Hall, the Lehmann Hall dining facility for commuters, substituting continental for full breakfasts in over half the Houses; and charging boarders who withdraw for the full term instead of merely for the meals they have eaten.