More Budgets

In Progress

There is nothing startling about the budget figures that the Medical and Business Schools have submitted to be included in the treasurer's financial report to the Board of Overseers.

In the past fiscal year the Medical School ran a deficit of only $3000--reduced from the previous year's deficit of $45,000--in a total budget of nearly $45.5 million. Government grants to the Medical School increased by $650,000 over the previous year but in an overall budget that includes $26.5 million in government grants the change represents a rise of only two per cent.

Government grants accounted for more than half of the $45,438,471 that the Medical School took in as income last fiscal year. Medical School expenditures for the same year were $45,441,027.

Meanwhile the Business School finished off the past fiscal year with a surplus "slightly less than the previous year," Howard Whitmore III, assistant dean for financial management at the Business School, said earlier this week.

The completed treasurer's financial report to the Board of Overseers, which will contain exact figures and breakdowns for the 45 separate University budgets, will not be completed and released until after the next Overseers meeting on November 17.