Tuition Could Increase At Least $200 Next Year

By Margaret A. Shapiro

The letter Dean Rosovsky will release next month to all Faculty members on the Faculty's 1975-76 budget will probably propose an increase in undergraduate tuition of at least $200, Robert E. Kaufmann '62, assistant dean of the Faculty for financial affairs, said yesterday.

Kaufmann said the exact tuition rise depends on "whether or not enough savings can be made" in current Faculty expenses "to balance or hold down the budget" rather than charge more from students.

Budget Cuts

The Faculty's deficit was cut from $2 million in 1974-75 to about $1 million for this academic year. Rosovsky will try to cut the 1975-76 deficit further, possibly reducing it to about $500,000, or eliminating it entirely, Kaufmann said.

Though no mention of room and board costs will be made in Rosovsky's budget letter, Kaufmann said that these costs may not rise at all since they increased so much--from $950 to $1100--last year.

He said room and board costs may remain the same because "food costs have abated somewhat" and because inflation is down from last year.

However, Bruce Collier, assistant dean of the Faculty for Houses, said last night he thought Kaufmann's estimates for room and board may be "too optimistic" because of high energy costs.

Kaufmann said that Rosovsky's "feeling is that tuition is the wrong place to start" to eliminate the Faculty's deficit and so will institute measures that will not affect academic programs' expenses.

Rosovsky said last night he would not comment on possible increases in either tuition of room and board until his budget letter is released at the November Faculty meeting.

The money-saving measures currently under discussion, Kaufmann said, include:

* Decreasing the number of Houses that serve breakfast--a move that could save about $100,000;

* Charging students who withdraw from the board plans furing the year for a full term, and

* Decreasing the number of phone lines used by the Faculty.

The Faculty's budget--including tuition and room and board increases--will be announced officially in February.