Single State in Israel Won't Work

News Shorts

Palestinians are native in their hops for a single state incorporating both Arabs and Jews, Roger D. Fisher '43, professor of Law, told his Quincy House audience last night. At the presentation sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Students for Peace and Justice in the Middle East, Fisher cited Lebanon, Cyprus and Northern Ireland as areas where different cultural groups attempted coexistence and failed.

Fisher's remarks came in a question-and-answer period which followed the showing of an episode of the television series "Arabs and Israelis," which Fisher co-produced.

The plan favored by Israeli moderates, involving the establishment of a separate Palestinian state comprised of the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, is the most realistic solution to the problem, Fisher said. The Palestinian Liberation Organization is ready to accept this two-state plan as at least an interim condition, he said.

Fisher said that without United States intervention, neither side would jeopardize its position by recognizing the other first.