Savage, Baggott and Kaseta Fill Holes in Defensive Line

Back in September every Harvard football fan knew there were two gaping holes to be filled if the Crimson was going to make a run at the Ivy Crown. Coach Joe Restic had to find a quarterback, along with a whole pack of defensive linemen.

Well, we all know what happened to the quarterback problem. Just when we were getting used to Jim Kubacki and his total offense figures, along came his injured shoulder and Tim Davenport's miracles to thrust the matter back into the limelight.

Meanwhile, you may have missed the fact that Restic has indeed found himself a defensive line.

Tackle Peter Mee has brought senior leadership to the line, and middle guard Lou Bernieri "has played his position better than anyone we've had in several years," coach Chet O'Neill said yesterday.

But two players do not make a line. The other three spots have been filled by suprising sophomores, Bob Baggott, Steve Kaseta, and Russ Savage.

Steve Kaseta, who prepped at Andover, came to Harvard last year as a tight end but was moved by the freshman coaches to defensive end and then to his present position as defensive takcle.

Steve was figured as a backup this year, but he got his break when Charles Kaye, who was the line's one returning starter, took the year off.

Kaseta made the most of his chance. He originally thought himself too small to play the position, but has found that he can make up for this disadvantage by relying on his quickness.

Bob Baggott has proved to be a remarkably versatile football player ever since he arrived at Harvard from California. For the freshman team last year, he was the adjuster, a rover who must plug the line like a linebacker or drop back on pass coverage like a back.

This year, he moved to weakside defensive end. On certain plays, he must still retreat to watch for the pass. In this role, he has made two interceptions this year.

Sprint Out

Bob Bateman, Brown's excellent quarterback, likes to sprint out to the weak side, calling for his blockers to double team the end on that side. Brown goes only as far as Bateman's arm can take them. To shut him down, Baggott will have to fight off the blockers and keep up the pressure on the Brown quarterback.

Russ Savage starts on the end opposite Baggot. Among the trio of players who came out of nowhere to win starting jobs, he is the biggest surprise. "I honestly didn't think he'd start," said O'Neill, "but he came back this year in much better shape. He was ready to work, and it was his incentive that won him the job."

"A lot of people played Harvard down because we'd lost a number of good people from last season, but we've shocked those people by playing so well this far," Savage said yesterday. Harvard fans hope the defensive line can surprise people one more time when the Crimson meets Brown two days from now.