Fitzsimmons Leads Crimson Harriers To NCAA Berth

Freshman sensation Pete Fitzsimmons, led Harvard's cross country team to a 14th place finish Saturday in the IC4A's University Division Championships at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, N.Y.

More importantly, the seven-man Crimson squad qualified for the NCAA championships November 24 at Penn State by placing fourth among the competing New England schools.

Fitzsimmons covered the five-mile course in 25:17 to finish 30th in a field of more than 200 runners. Despite his strong showing, Fitzsimmons said yesterday, "I was pretty disappointed because I got out in good position--4:35 at the mile--but I just stayed [there]," adding, "I should have made a move."

Three other Crimson harriers finished in the top hundred--Will Brownsberger took 69th place, Jeff Campbell, 80th and Stein Rafto, 82nd. Team captain Bill Okerman (109th) and Peter Levine (152nd) also finished for Harvard in the race.

Economic Considerations

The Harriers earned the fourth and last NCAA berth for the New England region by coming in behind overall winner Northeastern, Providence and Dartmouth. Because of economic considerations and questions about the team's relative strength, however, the Crimson may not go to Penn State for the championships next Monday.

Penn's Dave Merrick took individual honors in the race, running away from the field for a record-setting 23:51 finish.