Harvard Finally Catches On

FRAUD

By Robert T. Garrett

Spiro M. Pavlovich III, according to documents filed this week with a U.S. Magistrate's office in Boston, has fooled the University on several occasions.

Pavlovich was arrested Wednesday by FBI agents on charges of concealing more than $9000 in debts to the University and "willfully misrepresenting" his identity in securing federally-insured loans from Harvard in 1973, 1974 and 1975--his alleged "second appearance as a graduate student at Harvard.

Pavlovich, 29, a native of New Orleans, La., since September 1973 has attended the Law School under the alias of "Jason Scott Cord," the University has alleged in FBI affadavits sent to U.S. Magistrate Peter Princi this week.

The University alleges that Pavlovich used false transcripts from Louisiana State University in New Orleans when he applied to the Law School for admission as "Cord" in 1973, and that included in the Louisiana State transcripts were additional false transcripts transferring credits from Tulane University.

Although Harvard officials refused to comment this week on their alleged discovery of Pavlovich's double identity, it was apparently Cord's allegedly false Tulane transcripts that tipped them off.

The University forced Pavlovich to withdraw in February 1971 after it discovered the forgeries, the affadavits allege.

Harvard officials employed a handwriting expert and compared photographs of Pavlovich and Cord, according to the affadavits, to confirm in their minds that the two were, in fact, the same person.

Then, last week, they called the FBI.