Brown Sinks Radcliffe, 73-58; Relay Team to Enter Easterns

By Theodore A. Christopher

Providence, Rhode Island has recently been a very unpleasant place for Crimson sports team. Last Saturday, Brown University drowned the Radcliffe swimming team 73-58 despite the outstanding performances of Kathy Lindenthal and Laurie Downey.

Lindenthal edged Brown's highly rated NoelKeefer to bring home two first places in diving events. In the one meter, she tallied 211.15 total points to Keefer's 195.60 while in the three meter, she won by a narrower margin, 225.40-217.85.

Sophomore Laurie Downey was Radcliffe's only triple winner in the meet. She posted first place finishes in the 200-yard individual medley (222.03), the 100-yard butterfly (103.83), and the 100-yard backstroke (108.21). She also led Radcliffe's winning medley team at the beginning of the meet.

"We were missing a few people that could have turned the meet around," said 'Cliffe coach Stephanie Johnson yesterday, "but I don't want to make any excuses. The girls who swam did very well."

The medley team of Laurie Downey (backstroke), Carol Moore (breaststroke), Sue Sawyer (butterfly), and anchor Sue Vasallo (freestyle) qualified for the Eastern finals by virtue of an exceptional 443.88 clocking. But as has been the case all season, the team was unable to show consistent strength in the big races.

The team's next dual meet is on January 17 against Dartmouth.