Fencers Split Weekend Bouts, Outduel CCNY, Fall to NYU

By Richard J. Doherty

The Crimson swordsmen took in a slice of the Big Apple this weekend, and returned from their two-bout affair tasting both victory and defeat. Edo Marion's traveling band of blade brandishers slashed their way to a convincing 18-9 win over CCNY Friday night, but the Crimson fell to the steel of perennial powerhouse NYU in a hard fought 15-12 bout on Saturday.

The Crimson's epee squad was the shining star of a generally lackluster performance by the fencers. John Hirschfeld aced his way past all three CCNY opponents and Eric Mandelbaum and Matt Simmons each won two out of three of their bouts.

Foil Team Crumples

The foil team, led by captain Phillipe Bennet, had an off night however as only John Major was able to score the winning touch with consistency, sweeping his three matches. Bennett and freshman Eugene Vistola each won only one bout. Larry Tu's double victory in saber paced a 6-3 showing in that weapon, to round out the scoring.

On Saturday, the swords did not swing as smoothly however, as the squad fell victim to the effects of some late night backgammon, and faded badly in the final round against the Swedish-studded NYU team.

"Some of us were up all night playing backgammon," one team member said, "and we were pretty tired by the third round."

The New Yorkers' blades boasted some double trouble for the Crimson in the likes of Swedish Olympians Hans and Lars Wieselgren. The fraternal fencers foiled Harvard in the epee, with only the Crimson's Simmons breaking through to prevent a sweep.