Epps Approves New Journal, Says Advocate Will Not Suffer

By Richard S. Blatt

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday he has overcome his initial doubts about competition with The Harvard Advocate and will recommend that a new poetry magazine receive a charter from the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life.

Epps said he was initially worried that the new magazine would compete with the Advocate or would be financially unfeasible. "I'm now convinced that the magazine will not directly compete with the existing publications and has at least a chance for financial success," Epps said yesterday.

Peter N. Baker '77, one of the magazine's founders, said yesterday that Epps took over a month to give his approval because he was very concerned about "protecting the Advocate's interests." The final charter for the new publication prohibits it from selling advertisements because "Epps said we shouldn't cut the lifeblood of the Advocate," Baker said.

The new magazine, as yet unnamed, will include multiple works by individual poets and will published monthly in tabloid form Baker said.

Baker said the magazine will be funded through sales and donations.

Paul K. Rowe '76, president of the Advocate, said his publication desires amicable relations with the new magazine but added that "they don't seem to be interested in any sort of mutual arrangement."

Rowe said he thought Epps's concern about possible competition was justified if competition would threaten the existence of both publications. "It is in the interest of the University to prevent such self-destructive competition," Rowe said yesterday.

Rowe said that The Advocate's policy resulted from a conflict between anti-elitism and quality.