Law Faculty Votes To Keep 3 Students On Its Ad Board

By Gay Seidman

The Law School faculty yesterday rejected the recommendation of a faculty committee to reduce the number of students on the Administrative Board from three to two.

The faculty returned the question of the number of faculty members and administrators who will sit on the board to the ad hoc Committee on the Administrative Board for further consideration.

The committee was formed last spring, when the faculty discovered the informal membership of students on an administrative board was inconsistent with University regulations. The rules require the governing Board's approval of a formal plan of the composition of such bodies if students are allowed to vote as regular members.

The Law School Administrative Board considers a variety of student-related matters, including petitions by students for waivers of academic requirements and most disciplinary cases.

The committee had recommended that the board, which now consists of three faculty members, two administrative officers, and three students, be composed of three faculty members, one or two administrative officers, and two students.

The faculty adopted the committee's proposal to grant the Law School dean more freedom in choosing students to sit on the board.

In the past, the dean has made the informal appointments on the basis of recommendations from the student government, but he will now be free to consult with other members of the Law School community.

James Vorenberg '49, professor of Law and chairman of the ad hoc committee said yesterday that in formalizing student sppointments the committee felt a faculty majority on the board is important.

Although it has not happened in the past, the committee wanted to avoid the possibility of a bloc voting by students, Vorenberg said.

The ad hoc committee will formulate a new proposal "as soon as possible," he added.

Leopold L. Ramos, a third-year law student who has sat on the Administrative Board for two years, said yesterday he feels students have voted "as individually as any faculty member" in most cases.

Ramos said he does not think the committee is trying to minimize student imput into the board's decisions.

Jeffrey Reiman, a third-year student and president of the Law School Council, the student government at the Law School, said yesterday the council expects the dean to continue to consult with them before appointing students to the board