Hockey Jayvees Down Bud, Moot-Nolen Line Key 5-0 Win

Harvard's junior varsity hockey team blanked the semi-pro Budweiser Kings, 5-0, last night at a chilly Watson Rink. Goalie John Harris turned in a sparkling performance for coach Bob Carr's 2-0 squad, stopping 38 Bud blasts enroute to the win.

The contest had added significance for the Crimson sextet, which racked up a 7-4 opening day triumph against North Adams State last week: Harvard assistant varsity coach Tim Taylor was skating for the brewery-sponsored squad, centering a potent Kings' line.

Early in the first period wing John Moot drove home the first of his two goals off the rebound of a Bill Nolen wrister, lifting it over prone netminder Kevin Woods. Center Andy Spaulding also got credit for an assist on the goal.

The red light was back on again a scant two minutes later, at 10:40 of the opening stanza. Center Jim Aiken rippled the twines with a slapper that Woods could only wave at. Defensive standout Ken Dummit fed Aiken on the tally with a nifty dig-out pass from the side boards.

Budweiser's best scoring opportunity of the game came in the midst of a Harvard power play. Taylor stymied a Crimson carrier at the blue line and sailed in on a breakaway. The 1963 Harvard hockey captain deked Harris cleanly, but his shot hit a goalie's best friend--the post.

A Moot Point

Sophomore Moot returned linemate Nolen's favor for a 3-0 Harvard edge in the early-going of the second period. While absorbing a heavy check, Moot managed to spot Nolen all alone in the left slot. Nolen pulled the trigger on the scintillating bang-bang pass play.

Harvard padded its lead in the final twenty minutes, with both Moot (again from Nolen) and Chip Burke (assist to Tim McKenna) connecting.