Mather Committee Votes to Continue Boycott of CRR

By David B. Hilder

A Mather House committee voted five to one last night to continue Mather's boycott of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR).

Mather students had voted in a November referendum to begin the process of nominating students to the CRR. The 11-member panel was then chosen by lot and given the option of nominating one, two or none of its members to serve on the CRR.

Members of the ad hoc Mather committee said last night they believe the CRR has several inequities that must be changed. Continuing the five-year student boycott will be more effective in reforming the CRR than nominating students.

The Faculty established the CRR after the April 1969 student strike to discipline students involved in political protests. Students have refused to serve on the CRR since 1970.

In 1971 the Faculty changed the CRR's composition to include seven Faculty members, four undergraduates, two graduate students, and one senior tutor. The original CRR consisted of three Faculty members and three students.

Members of the Mather panel said last night they object to the CRR because it could deny students the right to legal counsel, does not have equal student-Faculty representation, and does not provide sanctions against Faculty members who are not responsive to student demands.

Anton Teodorescu '77, the member who voted to nominate students said last night he also objects to inequities in the CRR, but believes that students should be nominated to the CRR to try to change the CRR from within.

Teodorescu said that by boycotting the CRR, "We are doing an injustice to students who might come before the CRR" because it continues to discipline students even without student representation.

Only five members of the 11-member panel were present for the vote last night. Six committee members attended the committee's first two hour meeting Wednesday night. Mark Roosevelt '77, who attended the Wednesday night meeting but could not attend last night's meeting, voted last night by proxy.

The Winthrop House Committee last night scheduled the Winthrop referendum on the CRR for next Wednesday. The committee will distribute statements about the CRR on Monday to inform students about the CRR and the student boycott