Harvard Fencers Decapitate Corsairs, 23-4; Radcliffe Foilers Also Romp, Rip SMU, 13-3

By Jonathan J. Ledecky

In a tune-up for tonight's pivotal duel with top-ranked St. John's, Harvard's fencing team annihilated visiting Southeastern Massachusetts University, 23-4. Simultaneously, Radcliffe's duelers were disposing of the S.M.U. distaffs, 13-3.

Harvard's All-American captain, Philippe Bennett, watched intently from the sidelines, enjoying a day of rest in preparation for his encounter with an All-American foil adversary from the New York school. Coach Edo Marion gave many of his second-string fencers some vital varsity experience in the S.M.U. route.

The Crimson jumped out to an 8-1 first round lead and coasted in for their second win in as many outings. Sophomore John Chipman opened the proceedings with a 3-5 sabre victory over Mike Johnson. For those not familiar with the intricacies of the sword sport, the first player to accumulate five points against his ledger is deemed the loser.

Radcliffe Excels

Across the I.A.B. hall, Radcliffe's tenacious foil attack proved too awesome for the visitors. Captain Sarah Kimball, one of three returning letterwinners for rookie coach Saro LaRocca, paced the Crimson with four devastating victories.

Kimball vanquished opponents Rebella Nazare, Margaret Moore, and Joellen Casey by identical 0-5 scores. The senior's lone test of the afternoon came in her final match with Beverly Bendkisen, who eventually succumbed, 3-5.

Junior letterwinner Leonida Rasenas also enjoyed a perfect 4-for-4 outing on the mats, as did senior Celine Larkin. Freshman Susan Lambiris garnered a single match point to round out the 'Cliffe scoring.

Freshman Mike Bierer, termed an "excellent technician" by captain Bennett, and Reinaldo Diaz combined to whitewash S.M.U. in the initial sabre round. Junior Diaz has made a successful transition to the sabre division from foil competition, his forte last season. In the round-robin format, Diaz swept to triumph in all three of his matches.

Second-year clasher Chipman has improved vastly during the off-season, and could emerge as a leading sabre fencer in the not too distant future. Like Diaz, Chipman racked up a perfect slate, while Bierer split his remaining matches.

Junior Larry White led the way in the foil phase of the meet. Exhibiting a strong defense and precision timing, White swept to lopsided wins over Dan Eckerson (1-5), Frank Quek (1-5), and Vic Chiu (0-5). Teammate Nick Tepe notched a pair of points in his foiler role, while Dave McClees and Russ Ellis chipped in with a point apiece. Normally a mainstay of the sabre squad, Tepe was shifted to the foil spot in Marion's line-up experiment.

The sophomore tandem of Eric Mandelbaum and Bob Bargar made a shamble of things in the epee category. Mandelbaum, who switched from foil to epee for the current campaign, annexed three matches with the hard-working desire that has become his trademark. Bargar, a lanky swordsman with an effective reach also grabbed a triple win.

Harvard tackles the St. John's Redmen tonight at six o'clock in the I.A.B.