Swimmers, Racquetmen Open Seasons

Barnaby's Finale Begins With Navy

By Michael K. Savit

The record speaks for itself. In his 35 years as Harvard's squash mentor, Jack Barnaby has posted 346 victories against 95 defeats. His teams have won 29 national championships, 20 Ivy crowns, and along the way, he has gained the reputation as the number one authority on squash this side of the Himalayas.

This afternoon at Hemenway Gymnasium, Barnaby's final season as head coach will commence with a match against Navy, and the Crimson racquetmen will begin a rebuilding season which Barnaby terms "a great challenge."

Best Wishes

A year ago Harvard was 8-1 and took the National 6-Man Championship. Then two-thirds of the team graduated, which explains why Barnaby compares this year's team to a quarterback who is going into the game for the first time. "We may have some fumbles," he said yesterday.

Don't bet on it, though. "This year, the team is not as talented not as experienced as in the past," Barnaby said yesterday. "We won't clear people out, and we'll have to work, but I have confidence. Two weeks ago we didn't have a team, but now it's jelled, and I'm pleased with the morale. The players are determined to have another good team."

Five Returning

With Barnaby at the helm, they probably will. Junior Bill Kaplan will play number one ("He's really shown a major improvement," Barnaby says), with freshman John Havens in the second position. Returnees Captain Jeff Wiegand, Cass Sunstein, and Peter Havens will hold down the next three slots, but after that all names are new.

Sophomores Mark Panarese and Ned Bacon, senior Ted Humphreyville, and junior Scott Mead round out the ladder, with Dave Evans serving as the alternate. A team with a new look, yes, but with a familiar face calling the shots, and just check the record if you don't think that that makes a difference.