Guiner Asks To Be Told Afro Nominees

By Nicholas Lemann

Ewart Guinier '33, chairman of the Afro-American Studies Department, asked Dean Rosovsky in a letter Monday to send the Afro Department other departments recommendations for possible joint tenured appointment in Afro and another field.

Guinier's letter, which he released said that common courtesy as well as the rules and practices invariably followed in joint appointments" dictate that Rosovsky send Afro the recommendations for review.

Appropriate Time

Asked yesterday about Guinier's request, Rosovsky said Guinier will be invited to express his opinion on the nominations at the appropriate time."

Rosovsky said it has always been my intention to involve Guinier in the selection process for joint appointees.

A special three members subcommittee of the Faculty Council is now reviewing the recommendations of departments including Afro--for joint appointees in their own fields and Afro.

In an October letter to the chairmen of the departments making the recommendations. Rosovsky said. "Recommendations for joint appointments made by Afro-American Studies will be sent to your department for review.

"Same Treatment"

Guinier would pot elaborate on his letter last night except to say. "I want the same treatment as other departments."

His letter also asks Rosovsky to discuss with him "at the earliest possible time" what Guinier termed "obvious disagreement about several questions of 'fact as well as interpretation in reference to the Afro-American Studies Department."

"Any professor who requests an appointment with me gets one." Rosovsky said when asked about Guinier's request for meetings.

B. Irven DeVore, professor of Anthropology and chairman of the Faculty Council subcommittee, said last week that the subcommittee is now considering 12 candidates from six departments for a joint post.

DeVore was unavailable for comment yesterday.