McLucas Admits the Existence Of Mideast Contingency Plans

By Nicole Seligman

John L. McLucas, secretary of the Air Force, said last night the Air Force has "generalized" contingency plans for invasion of the Middle East but refused to comment on the existence of specific plans.

Speaking to an audience of about 60 people in the Pound Building at the Law School, McLucas said the Air Force would have been "very derelict" in its duty if it had not developed invasion plans.

"There are contingency plans" to invade the Middle East to take over the oil fields, he said. "As for specific plans, I can't discuss them."

McLucas, appointed secretary by former president Richard M. Nixon in 1973, said "there is some money for the CIA in the Air Force budget" but refused to disclose the amount.

$25-Billion Budget

During his speech, McLucas answered congressional charges of mismanagement within the force. He said the Air Force budget has remained a constant $25 billion, despite high inflation.

McLucas said the strategic arms systems are based on the theory of deterrence, explaining that "we must balance our efforts against what the Soviets are doing."

Under questioning from the audience, he said requests for arms to Southeast Asia are in part based on this deterrent theory and in part, "for better or for worse," on long-standing commitments to the allies of the U.S.

A member of the audience responded that "most people would want to see the Thieu government fall." McLucas asked whom the questioner meant by "most people" and was answered by applause from the audience, indicating they support the toppling of Thieu.

The questioning was interrupted by another member of the audience, who charged that McLucas was "being coached" by one of the three military men present.

"I couldn't possibly answer--I don't even understand half the questions," one of the stand-by officials replied.