Endowment for the Humanities Gives Lecture Post to Freund

By Michael L. Silk

The National Endowment for the Humanities announced today that it has chosen Paul A. Freund, Loeb University Professor, as Jefferson Lecturer for the year 1975.

The purpose of the lecture, established by the endowment in 1971, is "to bring to Washington a distinguished humanist, and give him the opportunity to address a subject of interest," Darrel deChaby, a spokesman for the endowment, said yesterday.

Freund will deliver his lecture, "Freedom of Expression: the Search for Standards," at the end of April at the National Academy of Sciences. The exact date has not yet been set.

"I would hope to inquire how history and philosophy, along with law, can contribute to the formation of standards for expression," Freund said Friday.

"I feel pleased that the law has been smuggled into the humanities," he said, adding that he would not give "a legalistic address."

Ronald S. Berman, chairman of the endowment, described Freund, who has taught at the Law School since 1939, as "an outstanding authority on the constitution and the Supreme Court. "Freund is currently working on "The History of the Supreme Court of the United States," commissioned by an act of Congress.

Past Jefferson lecturers, who hold their appointments for a year, were Robert Penn Warren, Erik H. Erikson and Lionel Trilling.

The lecture audience will be invited from the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court and the Washington diplomatic corps, and will include leading educators, students and journalists, deChaby said.

A group of about 200 or 300 cultural leaders throughout the United States offer nominations for the Jefferson Lecture. The National Council of the Humanities, composed of 26 presidential appointees, makes the final decision on the choice of a lecturer. At the time of Freund's selection, council members included Edward H. Levi, former president of the University of Chicago and present attorney general, Hanash Gray, provost of Yale, and Martin I. Kihon, professor of Government.

A Fellow and past president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Freund is a member of the American Philosophical Society, the American Law Institute, the American that Foundation and the Massachusetts Historical Society