JV Icemen, Defeat Exeter 9-8: Walstein Scores Winning Goal

In a wild, free-scoring affair N.H. yesterday afternoon, Harvard's J.V. hockey team scored a 9-8 overtime victory against Exeter. Defenseman John Walstein's goal at 4:15 of the overtime period won the game for the Crimson.

Walstein's tally capped a great comeback for Harvard, which at one time trailed by an 8-5 margin midway through the final period.

In fact, Exeter held the lead for a good portion of the contest. The Red took a 3-2 advantage after the opening period, and after the teams traded three goals apiece in the middle frame, the home team's lead stood at 6-5.

The Exies then threatened to make a south of it early in the final period, as they struck for two quick goals and a nearly insurmountable lead of 8-5.

Harvard, however, was not about to give up. After narrowing the margin to 8-7 the Crimson notched the contest at eight apiece on a goal by center Sandy Milley with just three minutes and 43 seconds left on the clock.

The Crimson, despite having the momentum, was unable to do any further damage in regulation play, but shortly after the overtime began. Walstein's slap shot gave Harvard its comeback win.

This contest, which was relatively free of penalties, had to be stopped for five minutes at one point due to a concussion suffered by one of the Exeter players.