Udall Campaigns in Cambridge Seeking Support of Candidacy

NEWS FEATURE

By Mark A. Feldstein

The first declared candidate for the presidential elections in 1976. Rep. Morris K. Udall (D-Ariz.), brought his fledgling campaign to Massachusetts this weekend.

In a tightly packaged two-day campaign tour, the 52-year-old congressman spoke before student groups and the press at the Parker House in Boston; attended a $10-a-head fundraising cocktail party given in his behalf; taped interviews with the Christian Science Monitor and other local press groups; was the guest of honor at a dinner reception given by MIT's President Jerome Weisner; and addressed various other political groups, including Citizens for Participation in Political Action.

Udall's staff was equal to the occassion. Under the direction of Massachusetts State Sen. Chet Atkins, they packed conferences with sympathetic individuals where Udall spoke and made the sympathetic more so by arranging for photographers to take pictures of the candidate shaking hands with flattered students. The students were then persuaded to sign up to work for Udall.

It was perhaps a measure of the seriousness with which Udall was treated that R.W. Apple. 'The New York Times' astute political writer, observed Udall's session with local students with a watchful eye.

Such treatment was well received by Udall. In an interview with The Crimson, he projected optimism despite his relatively low amount of recognition. "There's no front runner." Udall said. "We're all long shots, but I've had an amazing response so far." He added. "I think the campaign's viable and it's gone much farther and much faster than I had any right to expect."

Massachusetts will again be a critical election state. Udall predicted, and he said he would probably enter its primary. He said he hadn't made any final decisions.

"We're going to want until later this year when the dust clears a bit and when the cast of characters has been assembled."

Udall said he will run a selective but nationwide campaign to prove his viability as a national candidate. "But in Massachusetts New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oregon, California. North Carolina there are the states I'm looking at right now," he said.