Fencers Finish Ninth in Poor Showing

Despite Good Epee Performances

Despite a fine epee performance the Crimson fencing squad finished a dismal ninth out of 12 teams at the International Fencing Association Championships at MIT Friday and Saturday.

Coach Edo Marion yesterday described the Crimson's overall performance as "very disappointing," but said he was still pleased with the epee team's fifth-place mark and the second-place individual finish of Phillip Bennett in foil.

The epee team, cited earlier in the year as the weak spot in the Crimson attack, peaked Friday in the visit found Sam Anderson won eight of 11, and Mac Simmons and John Hirschfeld won five of 11 apiece.

All-American Bennett finished second in the foil, winning three and losing two in the six-man final round.

Sallor's Delight

However, he fell victim to Navy and Penn opponents whom he had previously beaten.

"He fenced well, especially in the first three bouts," Marion said. "His finest effort was probably against Rutgers when his aggressiveness paid on.

Sabre Collapse

The sabre team, however, collapsed Saturday. All-American captain Gordon Rutledge was simply too self-conscious, and his timing was off," Marion said.

Seeded number one, he failed even to qualify for the finals, winning his first and then losing four in a row to fencers he had beaten earlier in the season.

Bennett, Rutledge, and Simmons will travel to the University of California at Fullerton to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association championships on April 2. Marion said that Bennett and Rutledge's experience should give the Crimson "a damn good shot to do quite well."