GAP OF MALADJUSTMENT

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In my letter published in The Harvard Crimson February 5th,I made certain suggestions in the public interest. They were based on disclosures made by The Crimson of memoranda of Charles U. Daly, vice president for Government and Community Affairs and Robin Schmidt, assistant vice president for Public Affairs. The memoranda concerned the course of action to be pursued by President Bok to Bridge the gap of maladjustments between the Administration and the faculty.

In response to publication of my letter, I received individual letters from Messrs. Daly and Schmidt. These letters dramatically illustrate the point I made in the published letter that Messrs. Daly and Schmidt have a great deal to learn about making friends for the University.

Regrettably the law provides that publication rights of these letters remain the property of the senders. I am not permitted to publish them. To serve the public's right to know I ask that these letters be made available to The Crimson by their senders for publication. Then the Harvard University public can judge for itself of the insufficiency and self-sufficiency of their senders and the need for improvement in the relationship of the university to its external and internal publics. Edward I. Bernays