Three Arraigned in Art Theft; Police Find Curator's Property

The Cambridge Police arrested three men last week in connection with the November theft of over $200,000 worth of art objects from the Cambridge home of Stuart C. Welch Jr. '50, honorary curator of Indian and Islamic Art in the Fogg Museum and lecturer on Fine Arts.

The three defendants pleaded not guilty to the charge of receiving stolen property at their March 7 arraignment in the Third District Court in East Cambridge.

Postponed Trial

Judge Arthur Sherman postponed continuation of the trial until April 9.

Detective Fidle F. Cintrella and Detective Sgt. James A. Roscoe arrested the defendants March 6 after receiving information about the theft prompted by Welch's offer of a $5000 reward.

Approximately 65 to 70 per cent of the 49 stolen objects have been recovered. Roscoe said yesterday including a seventh-century Chinese glazed pottery horse valued at $150,000. The 30-pound, 23-inch-high horse was excavated from the grave of a Tsang emperor.

Police also recovered a glided bronze figure of the god of death worth $35,000, as well as a seventh-century Indian ivory-hilted sword, a silver casket, a russian icon, and a religious panel painting of St. Michael.

Private Collection

All stolen items belong to Welch's private collection which he loans to museums around the country.

Welch's wife said yesterday that he would not comment on the robbery.

The three defendants, Patrick L. Dunn of Dedham, Daniel E. Levin of West Newton, and Donald S. Smart of Medford were released on their own recognisance.

Roscoe said these are the only men linked to the robbery to date.