Jordon Criticizes Leadership Lag Among Democrats

"I see no person on the horizon who could rally the Democratic Party," Rep. Barbara Jordan (D-Tex.) said last night.

Speaking at the Boston University Law School Auditorium, Jordan said she hopes the Democrats will "get it all together," but she added. "It may be more wishful thinking than anything."

Jordan, a member of the House Judiciary Committee, gained national attention last summer during the Nixon impeachment hearings. She is one of three black women in Congress.

In her speech, called "The Aftermath of Watergate," Jordan cited three bills Congress is now considering that would "keep some abuses from happening again."

The House Judiciary Committee is currently considering a Senate-passed bill to repeal the Emergency Powers Act, she said.

"It gave the president the authority to construct an emergency and then act," Jordan said. "You could declare an emergency daily."

A bill curbing the construction of presidential villas is presently on the House floor, she said. The legislation would limit a president's Secret Service protection to one home in addition to the White House.

"Presidents couldn't go from coast to coast establishing residences, Jordan explained.

Legislation to eliminate difficulties in appointing special prosecutors investigating the executive branch is also pending, she said.

Jordan said the special committees created by Congress to investigate the Central Intelligence Agency are not an effort to "diminish or destroy" the agency.

The CIA does "little Sherlocky things," Jordan charged. "No one knows how much money they have for operating purposes," she added.

Jordan added that Congress is "too multi-headed and cumbersome" to provide adequate leadership in the economic and energy crises.

"We're trying to take the leading role," Jordan said. "But we don't have much to work with."

"We need a dynamic executive," she explained, "Ford is doing the best he can."

When questioned on the possibility of forming a black political party. Jordan termed such a move "self-defeating."

"It would make points in terms of political rhetoric, but would not have much impact on the decisions eventually made."

Blacks should concentrate on reshaping the major parties. Jordan said, because "that's where the presidential nominees will come from."