Junior at Harvard Wins Again In Maine Scrabble Tournament

By Andrew P. Quigley

A Harvard junior, Steve Williams of Adams House, won his second straight Scrabble tournament at the Poland Springs Inn in Poland Springs, Maine, last weekend. Williams successfully defended his title, which he won last November, against 20 challengers in the biannual tournament.

For his efforts, Williams won a trophy and a free return trip to Poland Springs for next November's tournament.

Williams won the tournament with a total of 2545 points for six games, besting all six opponents that he faced. His total was over 400 points ahead of his nearest rival.

In the six games, Williams made ten 50-point bonus words, but said, "I could have had more if the official had allowed Hebrew and Greek letters, which I normally use in my game."

His best effort came in the fifth game, in which he scored four bonus words. On his first play of the game Williams made "retainer" for 74 points. Three plays later he made "cavalier" for 78 points followed on the next play with the words "frosted" and "tips" for 75 points.

By this time Williams had already put away his opponent, but towards the end of the game he came up with another bonus word, forming "jasmine," with the "a" from "jasmine" preceding a "lost" which was already on the board to put the icing on the victory.

Williams is presently competing in the Reflection Coffeehouse tournament. He has won 16 of the 18 qualifying rounds so far, enough to place him in the semifinals.