Three Med School Faculty Members Begin China Tour

By Mercedes A. Laing

Three faculty members of the Harvard Medical School are among an eight-doctor delegation presently touring the People's Republic of China as guests of the Chinese Medical Association.

Dr. Alvin F. Poussaint, associate dean for student affairs and associate professor of Psychiatry; Dr. Alexander Leaf, Jackson professor of Clinical Medicine; and Dr. LIoyd Axelrod, instructor in Medicine flew to Peking Friday to begin their three to four week visit.

"Each member of the designation will be exploring developments in their own speciality as seen in the People's Republic of China" Poussaint said in this week a "Focus," the Medical Area newsletter.

"Similarly, we will convey to our colleagues in the Chinese Medical Association the developments which have been made on these specialties in the United States," he added.

The Chinese Medical Association ex- tended its invitation to Dr. Tsung Cheng, professor of Medicine at George Washington University, his secretary, Donna Adams, said yesterday.

She said she believed Cheng selected most of the delegation.

Delegation members have been undergoing briefings and leaning conversational Chinese for the past year and a half, Poussaint said in the newsletter