Harvard, 'Cliffe Crews Face Key Meets Today

Lights Face Tough Tech Crew; Crimson Fights for Biglin Bowl

The Harvard lightweights will be shooting for their second straight victory of the season today, taking on down-river rival MIT and Dartmouth on the Charles, in competition for the Biglin Bowl.

If tradition means anything, the Crimson should breeze to victory, having taken the bowl ten consecutive times, and in 17 of the 20 years it has been offered. As usual, however, MIT should provide the first real test of the lights for the year. Last year the Crimson went into the race an underdog, but came out on top by six seconds.

"Things should be as tense as usual," light coach John Higginson said. "One mistake could cost the whole thing."

Higginson has made no changes in his boat, which swept to victory over Columbia last week, Burt Levitch is the cox, with Ned Reynolds, Bob Leahey, Leif Soderberg, Mac Heller, Mike Loucks, Jeff Parker, John Kiger, and Carlan Yates in the varsity eight.

"We're confident, but not over-confident," said Loucks. "I think we should win."

The Crimson has been looking better since last week, and with good conditions should improve on its time of a week ago.

"The boat has been looking better in practice this week," Higginson said "though they still have a long way to go. But they're strong and enthusiastic, so we should get better."

Higginson made one charge in his J.V. eight, moving R.T. Lyman to stroke, and moving Mark Sieber back to Lyman's number-two seat. Otherwise the crew is the same, with Jack Foley, Gil Welch, Ed Timmons, Peter Fuchs, Greg Miller, and Tim Hackert filling out the boat, with Paul Chessin at cox.

As with the varsity, Peter Raymond's freshman lightweights should also receive their first test of the season. The Yardlings beat Columbia handily last week, but the Engineers should provide somewhat stiffer competition.

Dartmouth does not figure to be much of a factor. The Big Green's home course, the Connecticut River, only recently unthawed, leaving Dartmouth with relatively little time on the water.

As long as the Crimson can fight off a case of sloppy starts which have been plaguing them, Harvard should continue undefeated on its course to a showdown at the Sprints with Penn. The J.V. race is set to stroke into a quartering headwind at 11:15 p.m.; the varsity is off at noon.