Radcliffe Track Downs Brown; Decius, Bourgois Power Club

By James E. Mcgrath

The fledgling Radcliffe track club opened its dual meet season Saturday by destroying Brown by an 87-31 margin at Soldier's Field.

The squad, which was formed this January, swept the discus, the high jump, the 100-yard dash, the low hurdles, and the 220 dash enroute to its stunning victory.

"I was extremely pleased with the meet, especially with the times in the 220 and the quarter mile," rookie coach Don Jurivich said yesterday.

Joyce Decius led the fireworks for the Crimson squad in the field events, winning the discus (94 ft, 6in.), the shot (34 ft, 4in.), and placing second in the javelin (56 ft. 4 in.), In addition, she ran the first leg of the 4 x 110 relay, which beat Brown with a time of 61.0 seconds.

Nicole Bourgois led the trackwomen by winning the 440 in 69.7 and anchoring the victorious mile relay (which finished in 4.53). Bourgois also placed second in the long jump, flying 13 ft. 4 in.

Anne Fletcher, a newcomer to the squad, turned in a fine performance in her debut, as she won both the 200-meter low hurdles (40.4) and the 100-meter high hurdles (21.0).

Jane Borthwick (first in the high jump, second in the 100-yard dash, and on the winning 4 x 110 relay), Mickey Holloway (third in the long jump and 220, anchor on the 4 x 110 relay), Valerie Taylor (second in the discus and third in the shot, both right behind Decius), and Young (third in the discus and the javelin), also starred for the trackwomen.

Radcliffe was strong in the 220, as it swept the event with Pam Martin winning it in 30.7, while Linda Martin finished second with an identical time and Holloway third with 30.8. "It was nice to see them approaching 30 seconds, because in our league that's an excellent time," Jurivich said.

On May 1 the athletic department will meet to decide whether or not the newly formed club will be accorded varsity status. So far, the department has, provided the squad with uniforms and equipment, which is unusual for a team with only club status. "I hope that the interest and enthusiasm that we've had so far will show them that we're worthy of being a varsity team," Jurivich said.

The team's second and last home contest will be this Thursday, when it will face two exceptionally strong high school teams, Assumption and Somerville, at Soldier's Field. It will close out its first season on May 10 when it travels to Springfield to take on both the Chiefs and a tough Cortland State squad.