Frankly Speaking

American League Picks

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

Reports of fisticuffs and mass riots in many pubs in the city over this season's baseball champions have distributed the Swami of Swat so strongly that it is time to lay this unrest to rest with the definitive word on this subject.

After a seance with my baby brother, the Sultan of Swat, the Swami will utter the words of wisdom that every baseball afficionado years of each year at this time--baseball's pennant winners.

As the saying goes, age before talent, of something to that effect. The Swami begins with the junior American League, which will start its 75th season tonight when the Kansas City Royals meet the California Angels at Anaheim.

A. L. East

1. BALTIMORE--With the brilliance of Three Stooges re-runs, the star-laden Orioles will repeat in the Eastern Division. Pitching aces Jim Palmer and Mike Cuellar lead the pitching corps, while ageless Brooks Robinson and Paul Blair lead a well-balanced roster.

2. NEW YORK--Despite the massive propaganda barrage disseminating from the Yankees' front office, the pinstripes are not on the top of the A. L. East, but they're not far behind. The Yanks have been bolstered by the acquisitions of Jim "Catfish" Hunter from Oakland and Bobby Bonds from the baseball Giants.

Pitching remains the Yankees' forte, but run production remains questionable.

3. BOSTON--It hurts to predict the Red Sox to place behind the Yanks, but the Swami seeks the truth. The Sox will be able to score runs, but expect for the days when El Tiante and Bill Lee are throwing, the opposition will probably score more.

A Carlton Fisk-less catching corps is dubious, but the defense is fairly sound.

4. CLEVELAND--Even with the Perrys, Jim and Gaylord, the Indians pitching staff is waning. All eyes will be watching how Frank Robinson, the first playing manager since Hank Bauer in 1961, handles the squad.

5. MILWAUKEE--The Brewers' home town will remain only the beer capital of the world.

6. DETROIT--Cellar Dwellers.

A.L. WEST

1. OAKLAND--Even losing a 25-game winner can't topple the A's from Western supremacy. Ken Holtzman and Vida Blue comprise a potent duo, with Rollie Fingers anchoring the bullpen duties.

Oakland's power slugging of Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando, Billy Williams and Gene Tenace spreads fear in any sane pitcher, and the A's lose nothing in defense.

2. TEXAS--Just a step off the pace, Billy Martin's Rangers sport the leagues' MVP and RBI leader in Jeff Burroughts. Willie Davis and Cesar Tovar add to the slugging along with the excellent first baseman, Mike Hargrove.

Aside from Ferguson Jenkins, who matched Catfish Hunter in wins with 25, Texas is too weak in the pitching department.

3. KANSAS CITY--The Royals spent more time fighting in the clubhouse that they did thinking about winning last year. Despite manager Hack McKeon, the Royals will land in third.

4. CALIFORNIA--Dick Williams's starting staff of Nolan Ryan, Bill Singer, and Frank Tanana may be surprising if some timely hitting becks them up.

5. MINNESOTA--The Twins came on strong at the end of last season, but even a fourth batting crown for Rod Carew couldn't save them.

6. CHICAGO--And then there were none.

Tomorrow: The Swami predicts the outcome of the National League pennant race and shocks the world with his Series pick.