Harvard Laxmen Drop Three In Jaunt Through Maryland

By Philip Weiss, Special to The Crimson

BALTIMORE. Md.-- A young Harvard lacrosse team took on three southern stick squads this vacation, and learned painfully that the Maryland game has a fourth quarter.

The Crimson went into the fourth periods of games against Towson State College. Morgan State College, and Washington College with strong upset prospects but was outscored on each occasion to emerge from the sojourn with an 0-3 record.

In the toughest loss, the stickmen Saturday dropped a 10-9 contest to Washington a squad ranked seventh in the nation, after leading in the early going.

Washington broke an 8-8 deadlock early in the fourth quarter. The host team from Maryland's eastern shore get its tenth goal with four minutes left to top the penalty harried Crimson.

Harvard opened the southern swing at Towson and was blown out of a close tilt in the last stanza by three unanswered Towson goals.

Midfielder Bruce Bruckmann, who tallied seven times on the campaign, collected four goals and an assist against Towson in staking the Crimson to an early 4-3 edge.

However, attackman Rick Griebe of the teachers college answered with three goals and five assists before leaving the game after a skirmish with Crimson defenseman Jeff Flanders, late in the fourth quarter with the Crimson down, 12-10

That fight nullified a Harvard goal and Towson struck quickly to win the game, 15-10.

The most stunning fourth quarter of the vacation was an unmerciful 15 minutes in wind-swept Hughes Stadium in east Baltimore, where the Morgan Bears scored five straight times to turn a three point Harvard bulge into a 9-7 loss.

The Crimson had dominated both Morgan and an awesome wind with gusts of up to 60 miles per hour in controlling play through the first three quarters But after Bill "Chico" Mackenzie earned the hat trick on a neat, difficult angle short with seven seconds left in the third quarter, the Bears took over

Led by Jerna Jacques's performance on a scrappy midfield unit and attackman David Raymond's three goals and one assist in the fourth quarter, the Bears stampeded the effective but beleaguered Crimson netminder. Baltimore product Leroy Thompson.

With 10:25 gone in the period, Jacques flipped a loose ball into the upper left corner of the Crimson net to empty the Bear bench and give the squad its first lead of the game at 8-7.

Earlier Harvard had jumped to a 3-0, then 6-2 edge on the first-half stick-work and three goals by Frisbie who consistently left Morgan's Mendoza Wallace to defend his shadow.

But Frisbie's shadow is all the Crimson has left of the small attackman who collected seven points during the trip before quitting the squad for undisclosed reasons.

Still and all, barring future fourth-quarter collapses, the mettlesome ten has a good prospect for coming in second behind Cornell in the Ivy schedule, which the Crimson opens here Saturday against Penn.