Ruggers Topple Dominican Republic To Maintain International Dominance

By Francis T. Crimmins jr.

Stumbling off the plane at Logan Airport, the triumphant Harvard Rugby Club reassured the world of its dominance in international competition after a week-long sojourn to the Dominican Republic.

Granted, the Crimson ruggers may be superior to their Dominican counter parts on the rugby field, but when it came down to prowess in the barroom, the Dominicans emerged the victors.

The rugby team was the official guest of the Dominican Republic and the Crimson were pleased as punch (rum) with Dominican hospitality.

Last Wednesday, the Harvard 'A' team took on the top Dominican squad before 5000 screaming fans in 95-degree heat in beautiful San Critchel.

In a smoothly-executed game, the Crimson powered its way over its smaller opponents en route to a 15-0 whitewashing. Mike Winn scored on two tries and Jim Boland was another standout in the Crimson arsenal.

It was clear to all in attendance that the Dominican squad did not know the fundamentals of rugby. In all fairness to the hosts, it must be pointed out that most of the Dominicans were converted soccer players, used to more footwork and less bone-crunching.

After the game, the Dominican players took the Harvard ruggers to a natural spring in a jungle cove. Stocked with potent Dominican rum, the two squads proceeded to get "Plastered out of their minds," according to Harvard's Hank Lauricella.

On Thursday, the Crimson was treated to a tour of Santo Domingo followed by discotheque hopping. Again on Friday, the Harvard players were guests on another tour, before the 'B' teams had their contest.

Phenomenal'

A skeptical Lauricella suspected the Dominicans of foul play on this right before we played," the pensive Launcella stated yesterday. "I think it was a conscious plot to get us tired out."

The Crimson 'B' squad met with equal success on Friday night in pinning a 24.3 defeat on the Dominicans. Jim Presley combined with Craig Butler to lead the Harvard attack.