Track Teams Perform as Expected on Weekend

'Cliffe Runs 3rd at Springfield'

Radcliffe's young track team finished its first season of competition on a promising note this weekend, placing third behind two powerful squads from Cortland State and Springfield College in a triangular meet at Springfield.

The highlight of the meet for the women came when Joyce Decius set a Radcliffe track record in the discus with a toss of 107 ft. 5 in. Finishing third in the discus competition, Decius came back to finish fourth in the shot with a toss of 33 ft. 5 in.

Radcliffe also picked up points in the quarter mile, as Nicole Bourgois crossed the finish line third with a time of 69 seconds, and in the mile, where Janet Campbell broke the time barrier at 4:57 to grab another third place for the squad.

Fearsome Foursomes

Two relays gave the 'Cliffe its final markers of the day, with third place finishes in both the 440 relay and the medley. The foursome of Clara Tatrallyay, Michcle Holmes, Cynthia Young and Diana Gilligan snapped the 440 tape in 63 seconds, and Roxane Sismanidis teamed with Holmes, Bourgois and Campbell to finish the medley in a 2:14 clocking.

The meet was the squad's final outing of the season, as it finished with a fine 3-2 record. "Considering how short the training period was, several performances by individuals over the season were exceptional," coach Don Jurivich said yesterday.

On Beyond Zebra

"It was gratifying for me to see women on the team run times and perform in the field events far beyond their expectations," Jurivich said. "What is even more encouraging is that most of the team members are juniors, sophomores and freshmen. With the experience of this year, we could very well field a very powerful team next season and in the years to come."

"The potential is there," he said. "It just has to be realized."