Mobilizing Behind Rent Control

TENANTS

By Nicole Seligman

The physiocrats believe all wealth comes from land. In Cambridge this may be true. And the Cambridge Tenants' Organizing Committee (CTOC), started in 1970 to fight for the adoption of rent control, is fighting yet another tenant-versus-landlord battle.

The controversy began in December, when the Rent Control Board voted to allow landlords to pass on to tenants increased fuel and tax costs and to charge an additional 3.1-per-cent price-level adjustment.

Since then the CTOC and other Cambridge groups have filed a class action suit in federal court charging conflict of interest and violation of due process in the December rent increase. Additionally, they have been organizing tenants to withhold rent increases.

Of the 22,000 residences affected by the increase, CTOC spokesmen say they have heard that nearly 4000 have withheld payment of the increase, but a rent control spokesman said no more than the usual number has been received.

The rent board claims that the increases were the lowest amount every landlord could justify and were therefore lower than many could have justified. Additionally, it holds that in all cases it followed the law.

The board maintains that the suit is really an attack on the constitutionality of the rent control statute and therefore on the continued existence of rent control.

In response to the suit, City Councilor Thomas W. Danehy introduced a motion calling on the city solicitor to prepare a proposal for replacing the rent baord with a grievance board. The motion failed last Monday by a 5-3 vote.

But CTOC spokesmen say if it appears that the City Council is going to be voting to repeal rent control, the group will mobilize all contacts in protest. The CTOC's aim is to defeat the increase city-wide, and, failing that, landlord-by-landlord.

Harvard-owned buildings were only partially affected by the increase. Residential units inhabited by people not affiliated with Harvard are subject to rent control, while Harvard sets rents for its affiliates.

Despite CTOC's efforts, it appears the tenants may be fighting a losing battle. Their two weapons are their court action and their possible rallying strength within the Cambridge community. If it is proved that the rent board acted within the law, the only possible outcomes of the battle are for the city residents to repeal the statute, revise the statute or move.