R-E-S-P-E-C-T

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I write as a result of a particular paragraph in the article by Joseph Straus in the August 12, 1975, issue of The Harvard Crimson. In this paragraph, Mr. Straus states that I "deeply resent Leon Kirchner," and goes on to misquote me as stating. "You give me not the same players, but one class lower (than the Chamber Players) and I'll make concerts musically better than that."

I have known Leon Kirchner since 1955, and have never resented Mr. Kirchner, much less "deeply" so. In fact, I have known and respected Mr. Kirchner as an individual as well as a professional musician since that time, I have talked to Mr. Straus, since reading his article, and he tells me that he does not feel it necessary to retract the statement that "I deeply resent Mr. Kirchner" because he has a right to his impression. I will refrain from giving my "impression" of Mr. Straus's intelligence and reparative ability on the grounds that it might be libelous.

Unfortunately, this particular paragraph, which contains an impression followed directly by a misquote, can only create an uncalled for misunderstanding among colleagues and can only harm the success of the overall Summer School music effort. Ch'em Liang-Sheng