B.C. Outlasts Freshmen, 7-5 In Game Marred by Penalties

By Daniel Gil

For two periods yesterday afternoon at frigid Watson Rink the only thing that the freshman skaters seemed to be capable of doing as a team was file in and out of the penalty box. Despite a turnaround in the third stanza, the freshmen lost to Boston College 7-5, evening their record at 4-4.

There were 23 penalties--nearly evenly distributed--in the tightly officiated, but not unusually rough game, an unofficial Watson Rink record.

Harvard scored two quick goals in the first five minutes when Doug Thompson capitalized on an errant B.C. pass and Murray Dea converted on a face-off. However, B.C. tied the score within a minute on both occasions.

The first goal typified B.C.'s early domination. Eagles' rightwing Lowry, forechecking well, swiped the puck behind the net, rolled it out to Fairclough at the point, who slapped a screened shot. Hanlon flipped in the rebound unmolested.

B.C.'s Jim Eversman (three goals, two assists) went to work late in the period, flapping the back of the net twice.

The Crimson finally started their Russian weave, switching the center and a wing. This spreading of the B.C. defense paid off for Harvard as Dan Dilorati scored at 19:44 of the opening period.

The momentum switched back to B.C. in the sloppy second period as players started crowding the penalty box for both teams. Not only did Harvard have problems when down a man, but it did not take time to organize its power play. Eversman got his hat trick on a short-handed breakaway goal following a goal by Heinz at 1:05.

Randy Millen tallied for Harvard mid-way in the period, swooping in on a three-on-two rush.

Both teams played wide-open hockey in the final stretch. The Crimson was successful in skating the puck out of its own zone and hitting the open man at mid-ice and applied constant, but unfruitful pressure.

The freshmen let the game slip away with ten minutes remaining. Two simultaneous highsticking penalties against B.C. gave Harvard a two-man advantage but the Crimson was unable to put a shot on net for 1:44 of the two minutes.

Harvard finally scored on another face-off, with Dilorati notching his second, but it was too late. B.C. iced the victory with 50 seconds remaining, catching Crimson goalie Ralph Earle halfway to the bench.