Dartmouth Outdistances Harriers, 25-30

Crimson Runners Lose Their Shirts

By James D. Auran

Two Crimson cross country squads were dealt defeat yesterday in the green hills of Hanover, New Hampshire, as Dartmouth overcame the Harvard men, 25-30, and the Radcliffe runners succumbed to the talents of both Dartmouth and Williams.

Coach Bill McCurdy said, "The race was run in perfect conditions. It was a great meet, but we came out on the lower end because they just ran better than we did."

The Big 'D'

McCurdy attributed the loss to Dartmouth's overall performance. "The big 'd' stands for Depth as well as Dartmouth," he said.

Dartmouth's Dean Stevens set a new course record at 29:08, 12 seconds ahead of teammate Rob Duncan. Harvard sophomore Peter Fitzsimmons finished a disappointing third, but his time of 29:26 was still good enough to also eclipse the old course mark.

This is the second time in two-weeks in which Fitzsimmons has broken an existing course record.

Fitzsimmons was followed closely by Reed Eichner and Stein Rafto, Crimson runners whom team manager Ralph Hallo said "ran good races."

Mark Meyer placed eighth for the harriers, while Rocky Moulton rolled in 17 seconds later in tenth place at 30:51.

Team captain Bill Campbell, who was hampered by shin splints, crossed the line in an uncharacteristic eleventh place. Hallo said that "Campbell had not been working out with the team this past week."

McCurdy said "you don't like to lose," and Hallo added that "we can get them in the Heps," referring to the upcoming Heptagonals in New York City in November.

Hallo said he felt the loss could be partially attributed to the hilly nature of the course.

"These are hills like you can't find to practice on around Cambridge," he said.

Next Saturday, the harriers enter the NCAA qualifying meet after facing Yale and Princeton at Yale on Tuesday.

The Radcliffe women, led by Cathryn Taylor in their race yesterday, can take some comfort in the fact that Williams, which won the meet, is currently ranked third in New England.

Radcliffe's record now stands at 1-1, as the squad streaked past Brown in its opener last week.