Matmen Bow to Chiefs, 26-20

Match Decided by Pin in the Final Bout

By David Clarke

Jeff Blatnick pinned Crimson heavyweight Kip Smith in the final bout last night to break a 20-20 tie and give the visiting Springfield Chiefs a hard-fought triumph over the Harvard wrestling team.

The Crimson got off to a quick start, taking the first three bouts, but some unexpected Springfield pins in the middle weights got the Chiefs close enough for Blatnick's victory to put them over the top.

Leading 2-1 going into the frenzied second stanza, David Albert was given the initial advantage, but Springfield's Kevin Cassedy got a reversal and a near fall to take the lead. But Albert avoided the pin, turned the tables on his opponent and then, after the two grapplers traded reversals, got yet another reversal and a near fall of his own to gain an 8-7 lead after two periods.

Albert held on for a 10-8 triumph, and after co-captain Milt Yasunage (126 lbs.) and Bill Mulvihill (134 lbs.) manhandled their opposites in one-sided bouts, Harvard held a 9-0 advantage.

Bob Cusumano (142 lbs.) matched his quickness against his opponents' obvious brawn, but tried in the late going and blew a 5-2 lead on the way to an 8-8 deadlock.

Springfield got its first victory in the next match, when Tom Lachivsa came from behind in the third period and forced home a surprising pin over Harvard's Tom Bixby.

The Crimson widened its lead to 14-8 in the next match, won easily, 7-1, by Jim Corcoran (158 lbs.). But then the roof fell in.

Ed Bordley (167 lbs.) trailed only 6-5 in the third period, just missed making an escape, but then was turned over on his back by Mike Ciarmiello for Springfield's second pin of the night. That knotted the score, 14-14.

Harvard's Sal D'agostino (177 lbs.), Second Team All-Ivy last year at a heavier weight, turned his foe over at the edge of the mat and forced the advantage home for the pin. The Crimson had its last lead of the match, 20-14.

Harvard coach Johnny Lee might as well have fed gimpy-kneed Fred Smith (190 lbs.) to the Lions. Instead, he sent Smith out to face potent Jay Mulligan. Despite being called for stalling four times, the Crimson grappler fell behind 11-2 and then got pinned. With one bout to go, the match was even, 20-20.

Kip Smith just missed getting a take down in the first period of that crucial contest, but was visibly spent in the second stanza. Play was stopped when the Harvard matman injured his shoulder, and shortly after the bout was restarted, Blatnick turned Smith on his back and gave Springfield the victory.

"We should have gone into that bout with a six point lead," Lee said afterwards, "but those first two unnecessary pins killed us. It's like swimming; you just know when you've had it."

Even in defeat, there was reason for hope, since Springfield routed the Crimson last year, 28-9. "Just tell them that Harvard wrestling is back," D'agostino said after the heartbreaker.