Fencers Foil SMU Teams

Harvard and Radcliffe fencing teams had a field day with their Southeastern Massachusetts University opponents Saturday afternoon, as the Harvard varsity romped, 20-7, the Radcliffe varsity prevailed, 6-3, and the Radcliffe junior varsity capped the day by finishing 7-2.

"We didn't expect to win," coach Ben Zivkovic said later. "We went out there to fence well and hope to win, but it's never a sure thing," he added.

Harvard's varsity got off to a roaring start when both Gene Vastole and Erich Mandelbaum swept their bouts in the foil division. David McCann followed in the same category, winning one bout and dropping two.

Indeed, the early sets were going so well that coach Zivkovic decided that the opportunity was ripe to provide some of the substitutes on the team with playing experience, thus preparing for next Saturday's match with national champions New York University.

Harvard successes continued into the epee division bouts. Co-captain Matt Simmons won his two bouts, Erich Reid and Bob Tillman split theirs, and two freshmen substitutes, Bob Kaplan and Jim Dean, swept two apiece.

The stars in the sabre division were John Chipman and Chris Jennings, who won two contests each, and John Graham, who took three.

Radcliffe's top scorers were captain Leonida Rassenas and Susan Lowry, who with three victories each accounted for all the Radcliffe scores. the J.V. attack was led by Sally Spears and Susan Lambiris, with three wins apiece.