Do You Know Where Your Car Is?

NEWS FEATURE

Pat's Towing Service hauls about twenty cars a day from streets and parking lots around the University at the request of the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

The service tows most of the cars during the day in response to specific complaints. But many cars are taken during the early morning when service employees sweep specific streets under police supervision.

"The Eliot triangle, Cowperthwaite St., the Business School lots, and the lots off Oxford St. are towed the most," Ronald T. Megan, dispatcher for the service said yesterday.

The University does not receive any of the $14 that owners must pay to Pat's to retreive their cars.

David L. Gorski, chief of University police, said yesterday, "most of the cars towed are not registered with the University.

"They wouldn't pay a ticket and we wouldn't be able to find them," he said.

Many students don't register their cars with the University police, despite a $25 fine for not doing so.

Students who register their cars with the University are not permitted to park overnight on the Cambridge streets.

Cars registered with the police are less likely to be towed, though. If a complaint is lodged against a car the police try to locate the owner before calling Pat's , John M. Francis, director of towing for HUPD, said yesterday.

The University police are also more lenient with University-affiliated cars that are parked illegally but are not blocking a fireplug or firelane. "We only tow those if they are flagrant or repeating offenders," Gorski said.

Pat's Towing Service is used almost exclusively by the University police because the service is "the most reliable, honest, and dependable tow service in Cambridge," Francis said.

"We had complaints about theft and harrassment with some other companies, but we've heard nothing about Pat's," he said.

Some students do complain about their missing cars, but most take it in stride. "I gambled and didn't make it," Christopher L. Taylor '76-3, whose car was towed Sunday night, said yesterday.

Recommended Articles

City Police Open Drive Against Illegal Parking
Cambridge Captain of Traffic Edward F. Tierney last night opened a large-scale tagging drive against overnight parkers in the Harvard
City Will Tow Away Illegally Parked Autos
The Cambridge Police Department will tow away all student-owned cars blocking snow removal operations, Police Chief Patrick F. Ready warned
POLICE HAUL OFF TEN CARS IN SUDDEN RAID
Quincy St. was the scene of a police raid around noon yesterday when a squad of Cambridge bluecoats appeared and
City Sets New Non-residents' Parking Law
The honeymoon is over for out-of-state students who have been beating the city parking laws for more than a year.
Police Crack Down on Parking Violators
Cambridge police towed 21 cars and three motorcycles away from the vicinity of the square yesterday in a new drive
Police Prepare to Impound Autos With Unpaid Tickets
Students who fall to pay Cambridge parking tickets may now find their cars towed away under a new system announced