Chemical Wastes

By Francis J. Connolly

The Chemistry Department is planning to build a facility for the disposal of laboratory waste which is currently being flushed into the Cambridge sewer system, a spokesman for the department said yesterday.

George W. Busby III, assistant director of the chemical laboratories, said construction of the organic solvent disposal facility should begin within a month and last about two weeks.

Once completed, the system will handle effluent waste from the Science Center, Mallinckrodt, and other laboratories north of the Yard.

Busby said that although the College currently meets municipal sewage regulations he voluntarily designed the new plant to help the Boston area comply with stricter federal pollution standards which will take effect in June 1977.

"It could serve as an example to other schools in the area, and perhaps around the country," Busby said.

Mortimer Litt, assistant dean of resources at the Medical School, yesterday said the Med School would wait for new municipal regulations before changing its current waste dmsposal policy.