Harvard College Fund

The Harvard College Fund, run by the Alumni Office, across the hall from the Development Office on Holyoke Center's seventh floor, raises money that goes directly into the budget of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. If the Fund swings $500,000 ahead or behind, for example, it has a direct impact on the final Faculty budget. This year's drive is now headed for a phenomenal success, running $830,000 ahead of last year's pace at this time.

Peter Clifton '49, director of the Harvard College Fund, is predicting that he expects to obtain $5.25 million compared to $4.85 million for last year. In this years drive there has been a 5 per cent increase in the number of donors.

The Fund has rehauled its organization in the last year, changing from a volunteer system by area to a nationally run system organized by class. This reorganization has increased the numbers working of the drive by 30 per cent, a development which Clifton says should pay off by generating more giving.

With the budget tightening currently under way in the Faculty, the Fund must substantially increase its giving if it is to stay even with inflation and continue to generate fund over half of which go directly to scholarship. The remainder goes to the tutorial system and House budgets.