Harvard Students Active in Primaries

By Andrew Multer and Chelo A. Rojas

Harvard students participated actively in the wide-open Massachusetts primary yesterday despite the plethora of candidates and general lack of excitement over the presidential race. A few committed students campaigned for one of the many candidates, but many more simply voted.

About 20 students worked for Jackson and Shriver, mainly leafleting and telephoning prospective supporters, student campaign co-ordinators said yesterday.

"35 to 40 people have been working consistently for us here, with a few more working in the main office in Boston," Aaron Friedberg '78, chairman of Harvard Students for Udall, said last night.

The poor weather had little effect on the turnout in Cambridge, which was surprisingly high. For example, 595 people, mostly Harvard affiliates, voted at the Ward 6, Precinct 3 station at the Fire House at Broadway and Quincy Street.

Among those Harvard students who voted yesterday, Udall appeared to be the leader. "I like his conservationist policies in tightening belts and consuming less. He's the most honest candidate," said Libby Lyons '78.

Although some Udall voters felt strongly about their decisions many more seemed uncertain.

Vicki Rideout '79 said "It was a tough choice. I almost voted for Harris, but I voted for Udall because I didn't think Harris would get elected to implement any of his radical programs."

Udall was the most popular among the voters who were looking for a liberal. "I think he's the most liberal candidate. I'm getting tired of old people like Jackson," said Jeanne Nahill '78.

Greg Stone '78, who campaigned for Udall, the Arizona Congressman, felt that he offered the Harvard student "the most intellectual viewpoints."

Harry Levin, '33, Babbitt Professor of Comparative Literature, who voted for Udall, said "several local people involved in government whose opinions I respect have come out in favor of him, such as [John Kenneth] Galbraith ['50 Worburg Professor of Economics] and [Archibald] Cox ['34 Williston Professor of Law]."

Harris voters seemed to be the most positive in their decisions. "I thought he thought the most about the issues, whereas most of the candidates concentrated on personalities," said Henry Dones '79.

Reid Bouman '77 said he voted for Harris "Mainly because of his platform on equal distribution of wealth. He's a populist and I like that." "I like his stand on civil rights," said Joe DelPonte '79