Harvard Students Active in Primaries

By Mark T. Whitaker

"I can't believe I missed Jackson," the expert campaign commentator at the Institute of Politics kept saying last night. "I'm amazed, I just didn't see him surface," Joseph Grandmaison, who had picked Udall to win, boomed out as he sat on the Institute floor.

Grandmaison and a host of some fifty Harvard and Radcliffe politicos gathered together over aluminum cans and scattered shack food last night to watch and listen to the Massachusetts primary returns.

Strong showings by Jackson, Wallace and Carter, who captured almost 60 per cent of the Democratic vote, indicate that Massachusetts has shifted considerably to the right since the last presidential election, Grandmaison said.

"The Jackson victory is a particular testament to his campaign manager, Bill Ezekiel, who used his large campaign budget to flood Boston with video-tape machines carrying Jackson speeches yesterday," he added.

"This just shows the power of money--Jackson had more in this state than any other candidate," Institute Fellow Timothy Barrows, former mayor of Phoenix, Arizona said.

Jonathan Moore, director of the Institute and its Republican spokesman, said that the primary showed a major victory for his candidate, President Ford, and that Reagan's number game hadn't worked.

Gil Carmichael, the Institute fellow who narrowly lost the governor's race in Mississippi last year, said that he was in Tennessee this week and that Reagan supporters there predict their candidate may be out of the race within a week.

Carmichael also said he thought the endorsement of Jackson this week from Daniel P. Moynihan, professor of Government, played a major part in the Jackson victory. "They even love Moynihan down in the south now," he said.

In a brief talk to the gathering after network projections came in, Grandmaison said, "Bayh has said goodbye," but predicted Harris might stay in the race a while longer. "Now he can call for a chauffeur and get extra mayonnaise on his chicken-salad sandwich while he's still in there," Grandmaison said.

A student affiliated with the Institute also announced during the evening that the Institute will run a post-primary poll at the end of this week to discover "why the hell Jackson won.